About Donna Bahorich
As chair of the #State Board of Education (SBOE), #Donna Bahorich is committed to preparing all children to be productive, engaged citizens. She has worked diligently to approve and promote college and career ready courses, including strong career and technical education courses, leading to increased opportunities for students after high school. Donna is also passionate about approving effective public charter schools that successfully prepare children and offer additional choices for families inTexas. She brings experience in business, education and legislation to the position.
Donna was appointed as chair of the State Board of Education in June 2015 after serving most of the western half of Harris County as the District 6 representative. She was unanimously confirmed by the Texas senate March 2017.
Background and Experience:
After graduating from Virginia Tech University with a Bachelor of Science in financial management, Donna began a career in the telecommunications industry. She first worked for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company under the AT&T umbrella and later transferred to Mountain Bell. During her time at Bell, she handled multi-million dollar contracts and earned recognition as one of the top five district manager candidates. Donna left Mountain Bell in 1985 to raise a family with her husband, Mike.
In 1990, Donna earned a Master of Arts degree in counseling from Liberty University.
In 2005, Donna became the campaign manager for Lt. Governor Dan Patrick during his first run for a state senate seat. She subsequently worked as the campaign treasurer and communications director for Sen. Patrick. In her work as the district director for the senator, she gained valuable experience and knowledge in meeting the needs of constituents. Donna was named the Senate District 7 Volunteer of the Year in 2007. She also served as the 2010 Harris County Republican Primary Director, assigning polling locations and assembling election personnel for 885 precincts for primary and runoff elections.
An active community volunteer, Donna is a graduate of the American Leadership Forum (ALF) Community Education Fellows Program 2018 and a member of Conservative Leaders for Education. She was the recipient of the LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) State Director’s Leadership Medal in 2017 and the 2018 LULAC Leadership Award for her work with the community. Donna served as a member of the West Houston P-16 Council, graduated from the 2009 Leadership Houston class, served as president of the Daughters of Liberty Republican Women, and served as a member of the pastor’s council at the Vineyard Church of Houston.
As the District 6 State Board of Education member, Donna Bahorich brings experience in business, education and legislation to the position.
- download Donna Bahorich Bio
(Adobe PDF Format)
More Details on My Bio:
- State Board of Education Chair
- State Board of Education Member – District 6
- Chair-Committee on School Initiatives
- Board Liaison appointed to Education Commissioner regarding Charter School Approvals
- District Director and Communications Director for Senator Dan Patrick
- Manager, Mountain Bell Telephone Company
– Negotiated multi-million dollar contracts
– Led development of software programs to track expenditures of over $700 million
– Forecasted and monitored $40 million corporate budget
– One of top 5 of 317 managers at Mountain Bell
- Founder, Home Ed Plus in 1998, a non-profit organization offering supplemental classes for home school families. Served as founder, administrator, and board member
- Campaign Manager for Dan Patrick’s inaugural State Senate run
- Campaign Treasurer for Senator Dan Patrick
- 2010 Republican Primary Director for Harris County
– Responsible for assigning polling locations and assembling election personnel for 885 precincts for primary and runoff elections
HONORS and AWARDS
- 2018 LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) Leadership Award
- 2017 Recipient of the LULAC State Director’s Leadership Medal
- 2007 Volunteer of the Year for Senate District 7 (SD 7)
- Credentials Committee Chair for the 2008 SD 7 County Convention
- 2008, 2010, 2012 State Convention Credentials Committees
- HCRP Chairman’s Advisory Board
- 2008 Delegate from Congressional District 7 to the Republican National Convention
COMMUNITY and FAMILY
- Member of the Conservative Leaders for Education (national group of legislators and education leaders)
- Graduate of the American Leadership Forum Community Education Fellows Program 2018
- Graduate of Leadership Houston-Class 27
- Former member of the West Houston P-16 Council on education
- Former member of Pastor’s Council at the Vineyard Church of Houston
- Married to Mike Bahorich for 37 years with three sons and six grandchildren (see details)
- B.S. in Financial Management, Virginia Tech
- M.A. in Counseling, Liberty University