About Donna Bahorich
As chair of the #State Board of Education (SBOE), #Donna Bahorich is committed to preparing all children to be productive, engaged citizens. She has worked diligently to approve and promote college and career ready courses, including strong career and technical education courses, leading to increased opportunities for students after high school. Donna is also passionate about approving effective public charter schools that successfully prepare children and offer more choices for families throughout Texas. She brings experience in business, education and legislation to the position.
Donna was appointed as chair of the State Board of Education in June 2015 after serving most of the western half of Harris County as the District 6 representative. She was also the chair of the Committee on School Initiatives, which oversees State Board for Educator Certification rules, agenda items related to charter schools, long-range plans for K12 education and education technology, and the appointment of school board members for districts located on military bases. Donna served as the board liaison, coordinating with the education commissioner on all charter approvals.
Background and Experience:
After graduating from Virginia Tech University with a Bachelor of Science in financial management, Donna began a career in the telecommunications industry. She first worked for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company under the AT&T umbrella and later transferred to Mountain Bell. During her time at Bell, she handled multi-million dollar contracts and earned recognition as one of the top five district manager candidates. Donna left Mountain Bell in 1985 to raise a family with her husband, Mike.
In 1990, Donna earned a Master of Arts degree in counseling from Liberty University.
In 2005, Donna became the campaign manager for Lt. Governor Dan Patrick during his first run for a state senate seat. She subsequently worked as the campaign treasurer and communications director for Sen. Patrick. In her work as the legislative district director for the senator, she gained valuable experience and knowledge in meeting the needs of constituents. Donna was named the Senate District 7 Volunteer of the Year in 2007. She also served as the 2010 Harris County Republican Primary Director, assigning polling locations and assembling election personnel for 885 precincts for primary and runoff elections.
An active community volunteer, Donna served as a member of the West Houston P-16 Council, graduated from the Leadership Houston program, served as president of the Daughters of Liberty Republican Women, and served as a member of the pastor’s council at the Vineyard Church of Houston.
Donna and Mike #Bahorich have been married for 35 years and have three sons and five grandchildren.
As the District 6 State Board of Education member, Donna Bahorich brings experience in business, education and legislation to the position.
- download Donna Bahorich Bio
(Adobe PDF Format)
More Details on My Bio:
- State Board of Education Chair
- State Board of Education Member – District 6
- Chair-Committee on School Initiatives
- Board Liaison appointed to Education Commissioner regarding Charter Approvals
- District Director and Communications Director for Senator Dan Patrick
- Manager, Mountain Bell Telephone Company
– Negotiated multi-million dollar contracts
– Led development of software programs to track expenditures of over $700 million
– Forecasted and monitored $40 million corporate budget
– One of top 5 of 317 managers at Mountain Bell
- Founder, Home Ed Plus in 1998, a non-profit organization offering supplemental classes for home school families. Served as founder, administrator, and board member
- Campaign Manager for Dan Patrick’s inaugural State Senate run
- Campaign Treasurer for Senator Dan Patrick
- 2010 Republican Primary Director for Harris County
– Responsible for assigning polling locations and assembling election personnel for 885 precincts for primary and runoff elections
HONORS and AWARDS
- 2007 Volunteer of the Year for Senate District 7 (SD 7)
- Credentials Committee Chair for the 2008 SD 7 County Convention
- 2008, 2010, 2012 State Convention Credentials Committees
- HCRP Chairman’s Advisory Board
- 2008 Delegate from Congressional District 7 to the Republican National Convention
COMMUNITY and FAMILY
- Graduate of Leadership Houston-Class 27
- Former member of the West Houston P-16 Council on education
- Former member of Pastor’s Council at her church
- Married to Mike Bahorich for 35 years with three sons and five grandchildren (see details)
- B.S. in Financial Management, Virginia Tech
- M.A. in Counseling, Liberty University